August 4, 2014
I was quite busy creating other software, this year. And forgot to write something in this blog from time to time. Stil, a lot of improvements are made over the last month:
- YSE, my own sound engine, has been rewritten. A lot of features are added. And of course it is now the audio backend of Attr-X.
- A dome system has been added. Every user can create one or more domes in which only that user can add or remove objects. It is a place where you can show off your creativity. You can also appreciate other people's domes. If you do, they will be repaired. By default, a dome degrades so that it disappears after one week. To keep it alive, you have to repair it or convince people to like it.
- The world map can be viewed in the game now. 12 area maps are also ready. The travel system now uses the world map and also shows teleport positions and domes you like.
- The DSP object system is in review. Not really done yet.
February 17, 2014
- A few bugs are fixed.
- Added all game music.
December 22, 2013
- The Attr-X game music is released! Get your copy on bandcamp.
October 1, 2013
- The gameworld is ready for a while now.
- The badumna server back-end didn't work out, but i could make some improvements on my current server.
- Lots of background sounds are implemented. Footsteps are also ready, with lots of variation for different terrain.
- Started working on background music. 8 pieces are done so far, but I'm aiming for 20.
- Working on maps. The world map is ready, but of course 31 different zones also means 31 detailed zone maps! A lot of work...
August 13, 2013
- Only one world zone to go.
- Started development on improved server backend.
June 2, 2013
- I've added 6 new zones over the last months. The end is near!
March 17, 2013
- 255 structures and materials have been added, making much more complex and interesting buildings possible.
- The interface for moving and rotating structures is redone.
- New zones are added. About 50% of the world is done now.
December 8, 2012
- A lot of stuff happens 'behind the scenes' lately. I'm still improving the sound engine.
- New zones have been added. 70% of the world is still empty, but I'm making it a priority to fill it now.
November 7, 2012
- Introducing YSE: my own 3D sound engine. It will be built together with Attr-X to be able to extend the audio possiblities even further.
August 10, 2012
- Small fix added to improve shooting at objects.
- DSP objects are finally ready! A first DSP has been added, a ringmodulator.
August 1, 2012
- Website migrated to new version of joomla.
- Created a new frontpage design.
- Game accounts are now linked to website accounts. This will allow for easier account management and password resets.
July 25, 2012
- Bugfixes in peer player animation
- character animations have been added for \anger, \no, \bow, \applaud, \cheer, \yes and \nod.
- Pitch and volume of soundballs can now be automated.
June 18, 2012
- basic dsp patcher is ready.
- Completed basic math functions, delay line, lowpass, highpass and bandpass filter, signal ramps and biquad filter. The last with the help of Nigel Redmon.
June 15, 2012
- Made a few bugfixes.
- Started working on a dsp system (finally :-)
June 7, 2012
- A new game zone called 'the other dream' is added.
May 6, 2012
- Soundhalls are ready, music can be played. I should start working on an appreciation system for this. (More appreciated music will be more visible on the minimap.)
May 3, 2012
- Improved sound occlusion.
May 1, 2012
- Major upgrade is ready. The quest system and tutorial system are transformed into some kind of story system. Some stories are tutorials but you can also add your own. I hope it will also be used to integrate some poetry.
- I am working on a mobile zone and with that a limited version of Attr-X for android.
- Soundhalls are a priority now.
February 29, 2012
- Still working on the quest code. Taking much longer than I expected, but I'll get there.
February 6, 2012
- New update available. It contains minor fixes and custom animations that are much smoother than the previous ones. Still working on more animations, just for fun.
- The quest editor is ready. Working on server code now.
January 22, 2012
- Working on a quest system now. Players will be able to create their own quests in the world. Takes longer than I expected though. Of course I won't introduce XP points or leveling, but I'm sure it will still be fun.
January 5, 2012
- The new gameworld is online. This includes an improved patcher, but requires installing the game anew if you have a version from 2011 installed.
January 1, 2012
- I spent the last week rewriting the Item system and reordening the code in general. It's all much more flexible and transparent now. Bugs with Items should be fixed.
- The travel system is adapted to the new world, and more flexible too. Safespot function is no longer fixed, but points to the nearest travelpoint.
December 17, 2011
- New update is online: "The season of Destruction".
- Added Happy Hour event: between 22h (GMT) and midnight, you will get double scrap points for every scrap you pick up.
- The season of Desctruction is also an event, starting on december 24 and lasting until the end of the year. You get double scrap points, you do more damage and structures will explode if you get near them. All structures should be gone by the end of the year, when the new gameworld will be put online.
December 13, 2011
- Bug hunting today, getting everything ready for the next update. (The Christmas destruction party)
- Started writing an event system for the 'party' which can be used for multiple types of events (think happy hour, concerts etc.)
December 12, 2011
- Added environmental sound to the new world.
- Scraps are now outlined when you hover over them, so to hint you that they can be picked up.
- New terrain textures make everything look much nicer. (I finally got serious about normal and bumpmapping)
December 11, 2011
- The first 4 zones for the new world are ready.
- When entering a zone, the name of the zone is displayed on screen for a few seconds.
- Game loads faster because the player position is set before entering the world now.
- Intro sound is playing again (was broken in the current release).
December 8, 2011
- The new world has one zone finished and a second one is almost done. There should be 3 or four zones ready before the end of the year.
- I've made an environment object, which allows to change world settings over time, when switching to another zone. Makes for some nice effects.
- Characters can run faster in the new world if they're on a road.
November 24, 2011
- The new gameworld is imported in the game engine. It will be filled of the next 2 years or so, but the first part should be ready by the end of december.
- Examining all meshes and physx objects. I'm gonna switch to low poly models when they look almost as good, because the current impact on framerate is too high.
November 16, 2011
- Several bugfixes over the last week.
- Added streaming sounds to my fmod wrapper. there will be sounds streaming from the internet ingame soon.
- Added a 'scrap reward' for every 15 minutes spent online.
November 4, 2011
- Haven't updated this in a while, but the work kept going. Attr-X has a major update today, which introduces destructible objects and a currency system.
September 18, 2011
- New patcher system is ready. Game updates will be easier to implement from now on.
- Updated server files to propagate the new patcher.
September 12, 2011
- Berkelium code is more or less functional. I can show a webpage and scroll it up and down. Have to add some tweaks tomorrow.
September 11, 2011
- Found a server bug that crashed the game server 3 times over the last month. Fixed it.
- Improved chat interface. Focus is gone after you post a message. Chat window can be toggled with c button.
- Added menu option to go to safespot. This can be used if players get stuck somewhere.
- Removed 'special gravity' code for when players are on an elevator. It didn't work as expected.
- Started working on a new patcher system
- Trying to integrate Berkelium to show webpages ingame.
September 10, 2011
- More texturing...
September 1-7, 2011
- More texturing.
- Did a lot of research on using Trinity Core as my game server. Too much trouble to implement though.
August 30, 2011
- Read some more about Raknet. Perhaps I should rework my network code to use it. It might save a lot of work I'm trying to do from scratch right now.
August 29, 2011
- More texturing. Read up on Raknet.
August 28, 2011
- Created more terrain textures.
- Started texturing the new heightmap.
August 27, 2011
- Started working on new terrain textures.
August 26, 2011
- Terrain heightmap is done. Determined the scaling to import the map to essenthel.
August 20, 2011
- Added better controls for object movement. Rotation is no longer random now. These changes will be included in the next release.
- More work on terrain creation.
August 19, 2011
- First version of the effects editor is ready.
- Started working on a new game world in Grome. This one will be massive. It's my intention to create the world now, and fill it over the years.
August 16, 2011
- It's been a busy week. No time for Attr-X. Today I updated the code with the new engine delta time code. And did some work on the effects editor. Expect better particles in a few weeks.
August 7, 2011
- Fighting with video editing software, as always. After hours of hopelessly trying to get the video to render right, I discovered the problem was the that the project's framerate was different from the source materials'. Anyway, there's the video on vimeo.
August 6, 2011
- Started working on a promotional video
August 5, 2011
- Did some more work on the effect editor i'm working on.
- Uploaded a new full client with all current fixes included.
- Automatic update set.
- Updated engine version.
- Fixed a nasty bug that caused the game client to crash in multiplayer mode when someone made a soundball route with more than 10 positions.
August 4, 2011
- Done some more research for the effects editor.
- I'm done with the moon.
- For the next release: Added an option to turn off the 'bobbing' effect in first person mode. Isometric camera mode has been removed because it was only included as a test and wasn't very useful anyway.
- Changed the stale link to 'history' to link to this page instead. Also fixed a small issue with forum profiles, mentioned by user kookaburreh.
- Computer store called: my server is working again. Replaced the old laptop with the real thing again. Still amazed how good the laptop did his server job though.
- Small server update: fixed a sync problem where soundblocks where not removed when you went more than 90 meters away from them. They were still added again when you came closer, leaving 2 blocks at the same spot.
- Had a nice long trial session with a user called "nope" during breakfast. There seems to be a spot in the world with no terrain set. Have to fix that later.
August 3, 2011
- Fixed a small issue with elevators lifting you up and down on the wrong spot.
- Did some experiments with adding a moon. This should add a bit of ambient light at night, because it can very dark at some spots.
August 2, 2011
- Found better spam protection against bots on the website.
- Installed newsletter software and sent a first newsletter. Have to think about a way to sync game accounts with the newsletter software.
- Some minor work at the effects editor.
August 1, 2011
- Started working on an effects editor.
- The old forum was too prone to spammers. Switched to Kunena, a solution inside joomla. Now I can use the joomla spam protection for the forum too.